Friday, April 30, 2010

***Burger Challenge***

Greetings again my peeps!!! I hope all are well and ready for a stress free weekend. Remember from my previous blog I mentioned throwing down a food challenge. Well here it is. This one should be a fun and inexpensive one should you choose to accept it. I've had many discussions about great eats with coworkers, family and friends. Well this time I want to do a Burger Challenge. I'm not talking about McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Carl's...nah nah nah bump that. I'm talking about burger joints...established burger joints. For me, when I want a burger, I mean a real burger, I'm looking for the bright lights of either a Fatburger, Sonic- America's Drive In or Tommy's Burgers. As a kid growing up in the Dirty Dirty going to McDonald's was good, get a cheeseburger Happy Meal with a toy and be good to go. However, a true burger treat was when my aunt or uncle would say "PooPoo let's go to Sonic"..ahh man in the words of Ice Cube "Once again it's on". Pulling into that drive up stall, hitting that little red button and that friendly voice coming in over the squawk box welcoming you there was golden. May I have a Bacon Cheeseburger Toaster Sandwich with Tater Tots and a Cherry Limeade please. Sonic was special for me because my aunt and uncle didn't make me order a Kids meal, again it was a treat. I felt grown up at 8 years old...While they chowed down on the Coney Dogs with fries and Sweet Teas. Sitting in the backseat of the old school Nissan Sentra hatchback on a Friday evening watching the car hops go by...that's TRILL (Real)!!!

When I moved out West, I was introduced to many local burger spots...Tam's, Lucy's, Three Bears, Steven's, Quik N Split etc all great places to eat, exceptional foods. With that being said, when I had my first taste of Fatburger thanks to my homie Blizzard aka Gerald Williams who introduced me to my first King Burger with egg and cheese, Fat Fries and a Strawberry shake...OMGFG I felt a bolt of lightning shooting down my back, I heard the thunder roll, I feel down on my knees and cried out "My God, My God why have thou kept this greasy sensation away from me for so long". After Fatburger, you cant go back to work, go to school or even go on a date, that's one of those throw up the deuces and try again after a two hour nap. God Bless the high school days!!!

After spending 4 years in San Diego bettering myself for the future, I returned back to L.A.. Being in San Diego did enlighten my palette to newer dining experience, but my taste buds were popping again and I wanted to go back to the basics. Back to a good ol burger. I'm working in downtown L.A. making deliveries for Kionko's (RIP - thanks FedEx for ruining a perfectly good company, but I digress), one of my softball buddies Dave, came to me one day and said "Dude have you ever had a Tommy's burger?" Can't say that I have even heard of this spot. So one day we jumped int he G ride and headed to the OG spot on Beverly and Rampart for lunch and that's when my Tommy's experience began and about 20 lbs later. I should have followed Dave's lead and just had the Double Cheeseburger with Fries and a drink...but cmon now y'all know me..I love living on the edge, I stepped to the window and ordered The Mega Meal, that's a triple cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and a large drink. Imagine 3 100% all beef patties, with two slices of double thick cut cheese in between the patties, topped with chili, chopped onions, pickles, a thick hand sliced tomato between two fresh buns. The fries served up in a boat covered with sliced cheese and chili..washing that bad boy down with a strong throat burning Coke...somebody just throw some dirt on top of me and tell my family that I love them...its so freaking good its deadly.

At age 22 I wasn't counting calories, but I guarantee you that the Mega Meal wasn't for the faint of heart, nor those looking to maintain a firm waistline. Why would someone even want to make a combo that freaking greasy, I don't know, but God why is everything bad for you so freaking good. I was raised in the South on things that were cooking with fat back, lard, salt and anything else my 4 foot tall Vietnamese Doctor would disapprove, but damn it..you only live once, so live it live, live it large!!! If you haven't have the opportunity of dining at these three spots, you are truly missing out...don't sleep...and don't come with that weak a$$ In-N- Out burgers...they aren't even in the same category as either one of these spots, but hey I did ask your opinion so please feel free to voice it!!!

Holla, off to my greasy grave!!! Tommy's here I come baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment