Monday, May 24, 2010

I Know You Got Soul...Mexican/Salvadorian that is!!!

Whazzupp fans...yea its Me Theo-licious back in the mix...
in the words of Eric B & Rakim:
"It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you
Without a strong blog to step to
Think of how many weak blogs you slept through
Time's up, I'm sorry I kept you"

"I Know You Got Soul" is the name of this blog, I had to dig deep down into my Latin/Mexican soul bank. I'm not talking about burritos and tacos, not even tamales or taquitos. I'm taking it deeper than that. We were watching another Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) episode on the Food Network last week and Guy was in L.A. at a little spot called Gloria's Cafe - Mexican & El Salvadorian. I love food and eating of course, but when it comes to non-traditional American foods I love Asian cuisines first and foremost, then Italian and Mexican, but I can have them all in any order. However, when we saw this episode, we both were like..."Road trip Saturday to Gloria's". Gloria's is located on Venice Blvd between Vinton and Jasmine Ave in Los Angeles err...Culver City. For those who know where Versailles Cuban Restaurant is its right down the street...Another one of my favorite eateries but thats for another blog.

Gloria's Cafe has been serving up Mexican and Salvadorian food since 1999 and by the looks of things they intend on serving it up anther 10 years. It's a true HIW, one way in one way out. When you go there, please make sure you aren't starving or you will die. It was an hour wait before we were seated. It was mad crowded, according to local patrons the restaurant was always relatively busy, but since Triple D stopped by a few weeks ago, business has been booming and I can see why. Although the wait was long, the service was fast and prompt. We came for two of the restaurants signature dishes the Carne Adobaba and the Sopa de 7 Mares (Soup of the Seven Seas), of course no trip to a Mexican Restaurant is complete without some good ol Tortilla Soup and of course I had to try some Pupusas (Bean & Cheese).

Let's start with the Pupusas, is a thick, hand-made corn tortilla that is stuffed with one or more of the following: cheese, pork, beans and in most cases chicken (So I've been told). The one I had was filled with Beans and cheese, it reminded me of a quesadilla, only the tortilla was thicker and fluffier. I down one of those puppies and decided to bring the other one home, but I left it in the restaurant..so if someone enjoyed a Pupusa on the house this weekend, you owe me $2!!! Next up was the Tortilla Soup this had to be the best Tortilla Soup I've ever had, thing came out in a huge bowl. I'm a just call it a meal in itself, loaded with chunks of chicken, carrots, avocados, cilantro, Jack cheese, crispy Tortilla strips and it had a nice little hint of lime and spice...this soup was Money in the Bank!!

Now on to the main dishes, first up, the Carne Adobada, this tender marinated pork in red sauce served with beans and rice was everything nice. My only complaint was that I needed some more but for $12 you'11 get your monies worth. If I ever had a Molotov Cocktail explode in my mouth the Carne Adobada would be it. Once you get that first bite on your tongue, it spreads like a wildfire through your mouth. The second dish, the Sopa de 7 Mares a seafood lovers dream. A big ol bowl loaded with fish, shrimps, crab legs, scallops, octopus and calamari all served up in a beautiful vegetable broth. I took a scoop cup of rice and poured it into the bowl just to see if it would give me that Gumbo style flavor...bang bang!!!

The prices on the menu are very very reasonable. The Pupusas, Tortilla Soup, Carne Adobaba, Sopa de 7 Mares and oh I almost forgot my nephews Quesadilla plate, with drinks came up to about $55. Definitely not to bad, portions are just right. Just make sure to get there early while this Triple D craze is going on or you might find a few people standing over your table as you eat!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment